Tuesday 18 February 2014

CHARLES WILLEFORD - THE ORDAINMENT OF BROTHER SPRINGER


Synopsis/blurb......

"Willeford, writing with quiet authority, has the ability to make his situations, scenes, dialogue, sound absolutely real" Elmore Leonard

This darkly humorous one act play is a riff on Charles Willeford's "masterpiece" (as it was called by The Washington Post), THE BLACK MASS OF BROTHER SPRINGER. It re-imagines the ordainment of Sam Springer -- a drifter novelist -- as a pastor of the Church of God's Flock in Jacksonville, FL.

"I had a hunch that madness was a predominant theme and normal condition for Americans living in the second half of the century" Charles Willeford

“Willeford's experience of his life led him to a certain attitude toward the world and his place in it, and this attitude, ironic without meanness, comic but deeply caring, informed every book he ever wrote, from his two volumes of autobiography through all the unnoticed novels.” Donald Westlake

I am a little bit biased towards Charles Willeford.  He is (was – sadly he died in 1988) one of my favourite all-time crime writers. His 4 book Hoke Moseley series - 5 if you count Grimhaven - are some of the best crime fiction books I have read. Over the years I have tried working my way through his back catalogue, much of which was scarcer than rocking horse pooh at one time, but as his posthumous popularity rose is now much more readily available.
  

The Ordainment is a short one act play. Hard to recommend in truth, probably more for fans who would read his shopping list, if there was one available. That’s me then!

I enjoyed it and was amused and entertained for the half hour or so it took me to work my way through it. Derived from his Black Mass novel, which I have also read albeit many years ago; it mainly served as a memory jog to pick up something of his from the stack of unread books soon. I’ll probably go for The Shark-Infested Custard – how could you not want to read a book entitled that?

3 from 5


Picked up recently and cheaply on Amazon UK for kindle. 

10 comments:

  1. Col - I'm sorry to hear that the play didn't completely sweep you away. Still, I'm glad you've reminded me of Hoke Moseley series. I must spotlight one of them some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read it, as I would always be wondering otherwise and I did enjoy it, just didn't elevate it to the level of some of his other stuff.
      Glad to find a fellow Hoke fan!

      Delete
  2. Well it sounds as though I'll have to try something by Willeford, given your rave write-up, but it also sounds as though it's not going to be this one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True and true. Miami Blues is the first Hoke book. Kiss Your Ass Goodbye - might be worth a look also (not Hoke)

      Delete
  3. I love Willeford as well and am working my way through the Hoke Moseley series. I agree he was one of the BEST. His voice was very engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to find someone on the same page as me!
      Cheers Keishon, I'll keep working on the uninitiated.......it's like being a missionary sometimes, bringing light where previously there was only darkness!

      Delete
  4. Plan to try Willeford, have Miami Blues. Don't know how far I will go in the series. I want to like them but... not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with it Tracy. There's also a film of this one with one of the Baldwin's - never seen it myself and I'm a bit undecided about whether I want to.

      Delete
  5. Col, I have some of Charles Willeford ebooks that were available freely and legally online but I have never read any, in spite of knowing that he has a considerable following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant - I hope you can slot him in your busy schedule at some point and I'll look forward to your reaction.
      By the way - I picked up a cheap Higgins-Patterson book the other day and thought of you highlighting him as a favourite. The title is HELL IS ALWAYS TODAY - hopefully I enjoy it when I get around to it!

      Delete